Tuesday, July 13, 2010

From my Mom

My Mom frequents an antique store. She also makes a tidy side-income buying "junk" at tag sales, and flipping it to her antique store friend. She does have an eye for this stuff, and she knows a good thing when she sees it. Mostly she goes for the furniture, but sometimes she comes up with a little surprise for me.
Recently she passed along a broken necklace that she saw on the clearance rack for $2.00. The clasp was broken, the chain was ridiculously fragile, and some of the links were bent. I was thrilled! The settings are sterling, the stones are dichroic glass, and this was an easy project.
I removed the outermost stones and attached the settings to ear wires. Added a glass drop to each one, with a scrap of stacked chain, and then they were earrings! For the necklace, I ditched the tiny thin chain and replaced it with a more industrial box link chain. Maybe not the best match, but I really like the overall result.
My Mom loves it! Hope she doesn't want it back now... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment